Monday, January 4, 2010

Project 7- Day 2

Today was only our second day on project two. It's been a long time since we've had this class, though, so I had forgotten exactly where I was going with my project. I think this is just going to end up being the worst project I've done, because I'm not enjoying it at all. Designing synths is not fun. At all. I feel like I'm getting too hung up on finding a sound I like. I don't think that's ever going to happen. I decided to leave my synth as it was last time for this class (see last post), and just work on creating the rest of the song. I got really nothing done though. I got two patterns that were okay using the riff machine, but I'm not crazy about either of them. I set them up in (I think- I'm typing this at home, so I'm not sure I remember right) an ABBA pattern. I played it through, and didn't like it. I don't like my synth, and therefore I don't like my song. But I'm just so frustrated with the whole synth design situation that I don't really care at the moment. Anyway, my next attempt was drums. Mistake. Nothing (nothing!) I tried worked. I wanted a pretty basic beat, because my synth riffs are complex-ish. I couldn't hear kick drums no matter what I did with them, and tom drums sounded off and odd with the synth. Pre-created loops were all too complex/ they sounded awful anyway. By this time, I was running out of class time because I needed to write my post. It takes me a long time to write a decent post (which is why I'm continuing this at home), so the whole 'post at the end of class' deal doesn't work out for me. If I want to write a good post, I hardly work on my actual piece. If I actually manage to get absorbed in working on my song, I end up with 5 minutes to post. That's what happened for the first post of this project, which is why it is so short and (for the most part) nonsensical. I feel rushed in music tech in general lately. I feel like everyone else finishes projects before me, and the projects themselves come too quickly. My last project especially felt rushed, and is therefore (in my opinion)my worst one. Maybe I just don't like working with sytrus? I never used it in my projects before 6, I didn't even know it existed. I can tell that it's capable of cool-ness, but I just don't seem to have the enthusiasm for it. Basically, I'm unhappy with my last project and this one, and I don't know what to do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment