Thursday, January 7, 2010

Project 7 - Day 3

Today was definitely my most productive day on my project thus far. However, I should probably be close to done and I'm.. not. Anyway, I decided that my synth wasn't working as the main melody in my piece, I decided to use it to highlight something else. I decided on on a piano sound from the browser. I then chose a pattern from the riff machine for it, one that's not too slow, but not overly busy. For now, this plays through the whole song (4 times- it's 8 measures long) unaltered. I might transpose it later, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Behind the piano, the synth I was working on plays a simple pattern throughout the song. Also, it plays the same riff machine melody as the piano for the second two measures. I altered the synth a little before I used it. I decided to use a different low pass filter (just LP, not LP 3), although it's not very strong. Also, I moved the chorus down to four. I turned up the volume on the reverb a little bit, and changed the volume envelope. I don't really hear all that much of a difference with that, however. I also played with the OSC like Mr. Rabuse showed us, I have the first 3 bars at varying heights moving downward, which gives it more of the "airy" (I'm not sure how to word it) sound I wanted. After that, I added a basic kick drum pattern with a kick every four steps. A different pattern with a snare drum thrown in every 8 steps alternates with it. This is deliberately simple to set off the busier piano and synth. I also used an automation clip to have the whole song fade in and out. Next, I want to use the other synth that I have to design (=[) as a simple melody over the top of the rest of the song. I want it to contrast the other two sounds, but still fit in with them. I might also need a little more base. That, along with a couple little additions and alterations, should finish up my project 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment