Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Project 7 - Day 5

Today was really annoying. I ended up with a pretty good synth to put in the little melody I wanted for my B pattern. However, something went wrong with the pitch of my synths. My second synth played a different pitch than the key you played on the keyboard. This caused the synths to sound weird when I tried to put them together playing the same notes. They would be playing matching notes, but the pitches would be different. This made the whole song "off", so I had to delete both of my synths and start over. I'm not happy about this, because I don't like designing synths. Maybe it'll be easier this time around. Anyway, For the pattern that plays throughout the song along with the piano, Mr. Rabuse helped me start designing a synth. It's a sine wave, with a little bit of chorus and delay. The chorus is set at 8, and the delay and reverb are used at the basic settings, but with the volume turned up a little. I put an SVF filter on it, but it doesn't do much. Just enough so that it sounds better with it than without it. I moved the Pan and volume envelopes a little, but I only made them longer. I didn't alter the shape at all. The sine wave itself has the following settings: shape 13%, tension 9%, skew 4%, sine shaper at 12%, prefilter at 48%, and noise at 0. The melody of the piano had to be edited in the piano roll in order to match it with the rest of the song, but it fits pretty well now. For my second synth, which plays over the melody in long notes in the 3rd measure, (the B part in my AABA pattern)I wanted it to sound very computer-y, the sound close to default that we all joked about liking. So, I kept the default sine wave shape, and added a lot of reverb and delay volume, and set the chorus level to 9. It's kind of hard to tell it apart from my first synth, especially because it's playing long notes. So, basically, my song consists of a automation clip (fade in and out), a synth that plays the same melody throughout the whole song, a piano sound with an edited riff machine melody that plays in the A sections, and a second synth playing sustained notes in the B section. For some reason, this sounds like it continues into the last A section. I'm not sure why it does that, and I didn't mean for it to. So, my piece is now AABB, apparently. It doesn't sound terrible, though, so I won't go through the trouble of re-uploading it to just change that. There are two drum patterns that alternate throughout the song, and are cut out in the end. There are chimes at some points where I wanted to make a transition less awkward. I'm not sure if that worked or not. Basically, that's my piece in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment