Friday, October 30, 2009

Project 4- Automation



Once again, the hardest part of this project for me was coming up with the inspiration that would actually get it started. I had a goal that for this project, my loop would have a slower drum beat and just be more "tame" overall. I finally got going after I picked a base sound and a chopped melody that I liked. I ended up picking 4 chopped melodies that sounded good one after the other and using the bass sound for them. The bass sound doesn't really sound like bass, actually, but it is. It ends up sounding more like a piano in my opinion. After I did this, I transposed each of the 4 melodies down a level and had them play in the same order as the first ones. This made up the bare bones of my project. After this I added in the drums. My drum patterns alternate. The one that plays second has 2 snares and a tambourine hit that sound at the same time, which I put reverb on. I chose to have another bass sound fade into the beginning (using an automation clip) as an intro. Also, Mr. Rabuse helped me add an autogun sound over the top of my chopped melody. That's the two notes you hear repeating throughout the loop. I kind of wish I had made them quieter, though, so that you could hear the bass better. I put a phaser on both the bass and the autogun. Finally, also with the help of Mr. Rabuse, I used an automation clip on the sound "fieldchorus" to make the volume go up and down quickly. This plays through a majority of my loop. Finally, I made the whole song fade out at the end using the automation. This is something I wish I knew how to do sooner, because I think my second project would have benefited from it. All in all, my loop reminds me of those movies where 2 people see each other from a distance and start running towards each other in slow-mo. I picture two people running across a field towards each other, with the camera switching back and forth between them. This probably seems pretty strange, but hey, it's what I see.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are really starting to develop your own style in music composition. I like the blend of sounds that you come up with, and the smooth, dreamy moods that your pieces create. Your last two pieces are exceptionally good.
    I really like the automation in this piece. It is effective without being overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete